Gamification and healthcare
Which is the relationships between gamification and healthcare to you? How can gamification be supportive? Below few ideas.
- support physical fitness by creating challenges, set goal leveraging on competitiveness.
- rehabilitation. Set challenges to achieve to improve the recovery after injuries or surgery. It helps to make this funny and distract from pain.
- motivate and remind patients to take medicings on time. Use an app and get points if you stick to these appointments, you can then convert your earnings in some kind of gift
- gamification for kids, similar to the above mentioned point but more engaging to successfully interact with kids.
- meditation (e.g. mindfulness) to increase focus and release stress. Again set goals and achieve rewards when you accomplish these.
Gamification requires - crowd and rewards.
One of the key use case of gamification is Motivation. And the same can be used ( and is used) in healthcare. Wearable fitness devices such as FitBit, Apple etc use gamification as a core feature.
However still some work to be done for things like blood pressure, diabetes, sugar level etc. If a good collaborative system is built, gamification can improve a lot of health issues.
Humans by nature like games, including are competition. Nevertheless you have to include an external motivational factor, which could be cash-like rewards. Especially as insurance companies have a cost-benefit if their members are more active and due to this, less sick.
Of course, the question is, how far can this go, as it may lead to "intelligent nudging", where the device (for example smart phone) will actively contact the user to do this or that. Organizations like the IEEE elaborate guidance for such nudging.